Atlanta’s Universities Lead the Nation in Diversity and Degrees Awarded
Metro Atlanta is producing and retaining the world’s best creative, tech and executive talent. This workforce pipeline begins with education, and metro Atlanta is also home to some of the best universities and technical colleges in the nation. The region has more than 290,000 students enrolled in 64 colleges and universities, and the city has solidified its reputation as the #2 metro area for quality of engineering universities. Atlanta’s in-built diversity has become a natural quality that sets it apart. The Metro Atlanta Chamber has assembled recent stats and rankings on higher education in the region – read on for highlights
Recent rankings have revealed Atlanta’s strengths in its diverse student population. Their achievements at institutions such as Georgia Tech and the Atlanta University Consortium schools are particularly noteworthy:
- Georgia Tech – #1 for Engineering Bachelor’s Degrees Awarded to African American Students
- Georgia Tech – #1 for Engineering Degrees Awarded to Women
- Georgia Tech – #1 for Engineering Doctorate Degrees Awarded to Foreign Nationals
- Spelman College – #1 Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- Morehouse College – #4 Historically Black Colleges and Universities
Further, metro Atlanta institutions award more than 52,000 associate, bachelor, master and doctorate degrees annually. Tom Cunningham, chief economist for the Metro Atlanta Chamber has previously studied Georgia Tech’s dominance in producing engineering talent, in particular.
Georgia Tech’s diversity also extends to its faculty:
- #1 for Women Tenured/Tenure-track Engineering Faculty
- #1 for Asian Tenured/Tenure-track Engineering Faculty
- #3 for African American Tenured/Tenure-track Engineering Faculty
Atlanta’s diverse tech talent is fueling endeavors around the region and elsewhere. The collaboration can especially be seen in spaces such as Tech Square, uniting startups, incubators, students, and thought leaders all under the banner of providing solutions for tomorrow. The fact is that metro Atlanta is home to the diverse talent so sought after by Silicon Valley – and that talent is building a future here.
For more stats on local universities, including Emory, Georgia State, Georgia Tech, the AUC and more, please refer to the Metro Atlanta Chamber’s comprehensive listing of regional statistics.