The stories that drive our impact one by one
By Alicia Philipp, president, Community Foundation for Greater Atlanta
In 2016 the Community Foundation for Greater Atlanta distributed $125 million in grants to nonprofit organizations throughout our metro Atlanta region, across the U.S. and around the globe. In total, we made 7,300 grants to 2,400 different nonprofit organizations.
Those are big numbers and represent tremendous impact. And behind each grant there is a philanthropist that makes it possible.
At the Community Foundation we see ourselves as a GPS for our donors – we help them navigate where they want to go with their philanthropy. Some donors are laser focused on where they want to go. Perhaps they want to support very specific nonprofits in their community such as their faith institution or organizations that support a targeted area of impact like the arts. Others need more of a road map – they know a general destination but don’t know exactly how to get there. For example, they may want to improve access to healthcare for local residents but need guidance to identify those nonprofits doing the most effective work on a hyper-local basis.
We recently released our 2016 Annual Report that shares many of these stories of impact. We look at how philanthropists, either individually or through a collective giving model, are helping us fulfill our mission to strengthen the region’s nonprofits. We also shine a light on some of the organizations and programs that are doing this tough work in our community.
For example, you can learn about:
- A Community Foundation donor who brightens the lives of children through custom-created ‘Happy Chairs’.
- Two families who approach philanthropy differently, but with the same end in mind of paying their success forward.
- Two collective giving models that illustrate philanthropy born of friendship and philanthropy born of community engagement.
- An innovative program that helps parents engage in their children’s school communities.
- A nonprofit that uses the arts to create a safe space to spark community conversations around tough issues.
When I look at the impact the Community Foundation has on a broad level each year the numbers can seem, at times, overwhelming. But I’m also reminded that at the root of it all, there are individuals who are making great strides one by one.