By Patrick Adcock
The Metro Atlanta Chamber serves as a founding member of the Atlanta Science Festival – bringing together metro residents and visitors of all ages to celebrate the daily impact the sciences have on every facet of our modern society. This year’s event will be bigger than ever, spread across 11 days and 100 events around the region. With so many attractions, it can be difficult choosing the right events to attend.
For ideas on how to make the most of the festival, the directors of the ASF have put together a top 10 list (plus one bonus) of their must-see events:
- Captain Mark Kelly Tuesday, March 14 (5:30 – 8:00 p.m.) – Launch ASF2017 with astronaut Captain Mark Kelly at Emory’s Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church.
- Trivia Night with HowStuffWorks Wednesday, March 15 (7:00 – 10:00 p.m.) – Check out the city skyline and test your smarts at Trivia Night with HowStuffWorks on the Ponce City Market Rooftop.
- Science & Spirituality Thursday, March 16 (7:00 – 9:00 p.m.) – Ponder the connections between Science and Spirituality at this panel event hosted by First Christian Church of Decatur and Emory University.
- Story Collider Thursday, March 16 (7:30 – 9:00 p.m.) – Sit back and hear true, personal stories about how science has touched people’s lives at Story Collider at the Highland Inn Ballroom.
- Solve for X Variety Show Friday, March 17 (8:30 – 10:00 p.m.) – Come back to the Highland Inn Ballroom for the lively science variety show Solve for X. You’ll laugh and cry – all in the name of science!
- Rap Guide to Climate Chaos Saturday, March 18 (1:30 – 3:00 p.m.) – Dive into the science of climate change with renowned science rapper Baba Brinkman as he performs his Rap Guide to Climate Chaos at Drew Charter School.
- Zombie Outbreak Game Sunday, March 19 (2:00 – 4:00 p.m.) – Compete in a giant puzzlehunt as you learn about how scientists in Atlanta solve outbreaks in the Zombie Outbreak Game hosted by the Out of Hand Theater at Emory.
- Science Rock and Comedy Sunday, March, 19 (7:00 – 9:30 p.m.) – Rock out and laugh up a storm with local science punk rock band Leucine Zipper and the Zinc Fingers at Science Rock and Comedy night hosted by Georgia Tech at Smith’s Olde Bar.
- You’re the Expert Tuesday, March 21 (7:30 – 9:30 p.m.) – Keep laughing as you watch the live recording of podcast and NPR show You’re the Expert which features a panel of comedians getting to the bottom of what a scientist does all day in the lab at 7 Stages Theatre.
- Science of Sour Beer Wednesday, March 22 (6:00 – 8:00 p.m.) – Kick back with a beer and some science at Orpheus Brewery as we explore the Science of Sour Beer.
- Exploration Expo Saturday, March 25 (11:00 am – 4:00 p.m.) – Touch a brain! Control a robot! Get friendly with some reptiles, and marvel at [controlled] explosions at Atlanta’s biggest day of science! The Festival’s Exploration Expo will take place in Centennial Olympic Park.
Atlanta was recently ranked among the top Knowledge Capitals of the world by the Brookings Institute. With key universities producing the best in millennial talent and research institutes leading the way on innovative new studies, it is easy to see why so much innovation is coming out of our metro region.
For more information on the Atlanta Science Festival and a complete list of all 100 events, visit: http://atlantasciencefestival.org/